This is an archived copy of the 2012-13 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Admissions & Academic Standards

Application and Admission

Application procedures and admission requirements are described for each school in their respective sections of the Catalog.

Applicants should be aware that the courses listed under each program are not offered every year but are offered in a cycle over a five-year period, the time allotted for the completion of all requirements for the degree.

Because the majority of students matriculating for the degree are attending part-time, it is impossible to indicate the academic session when each course is expected to be offered. However, a separate printed schedule is published approximately two months in advance of every session (fall, spring, summer) detailing which courses are to be offered, the days, times, rooms and professors.

The College reserves the right to withdraw or modify any of the courses, costs or programs listed in this catalog, to cancel any course or program for which it deems registration insufficient, usually less than ten registrants, to make any other changes which it considers necessary or desirable.

All students must provide evidence of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) before attending classes. Such documentation may be provided by a student's physician or former school health official. If a student is unable to produce evidence of the dates of required immunizations, s/he may submit blood test results that indicate immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella. Health Services can conduct the blood test, although the student will be responsible for outside laboratory charges for analysis. Free Measles/Mumps  /Rubella immunizations are available at our campus Health Services office in Alumni Hall, Suite 104. Students born before 01/01/57 are exempt from the MMR requirement. All students are also required to submit a Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form and indicate whether or not they have had, or intend to receive this vaccine. Although the Meningococcal Meningitis vaccine is not required at this time, students must submit the Response Form in accordance with New York State law. Copies of all required health forms may be downloaded at the Health Services site: . Health records may be faxed to (718) 862-7797. Students experiencing difficulty obtaining copies of their immunization records should call Health Services at (718) 862-7217 for assistance.

Transfer Credit

A maximum of six credits for graduate courses completed at another institution prior to matriculation at Manhattan College may be granted if the courses are equivalent to those required at Manhattan College. The courses must have been taken within the five year period prior to acceptance as a matriculated student and have been awarded the grade of B or better. Request for such transfer credit must be made at the time of filing the application for admission. In general, credits that have been used to earn one degree may not be applied to the degree requirements of another degree. The request for transfer credit must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. Courses accepted for transfer credit will be noted on the Manhattan College academic record. However, the grades will not be counted in the Manhattan College grade point average.

Off-Campus Credit

It is understood that all courses for the degree must be taken at Manhattan College. For compelling reasons and in rare instances, however, a student may secure permission to earn a maximum of six transfer graduate credits at another institution transferable to the Manhattan College record. Written permission to take such work must be obtained by the student in advance from the chair or director and the dean of the school. When such a course is completed, the student must arrange for an official transcript to be mailed directly by the institution where the course was taken to the office of the program director or the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled and must pay the "Off-Campus Courses" fee per course before the course is entered on his/her academic record by the office of the Registrar. Only courses which have earned a B grade or better are transferable. A student who was granted six transfer credits on admission is not eligible for any further transfer of credits during his/her matriculation.


Students are required to officially register for each session in which they will be in attendance. Before the actual registration, students must submit a registration form approved by their program advisor. Payment must be provided in advance of the time of registration.

Online registration is available through the Self-Service system by logging onto the site. Students may also register in person or by mail. Dates and instructions for registration will be included with the graduate schedule of courses published online and available in advance by the office of the Registrar or by the program advisor.

Late registration will not be accepted. Enrollment in a course is considered final after the first scheduled class in the fall or spring term and after the first two class meetings in the summer session.

Maintenance of Matriculations

Students not in attendance during a semester must register for "Maintenance of Matriculation" in the spring and the fall semesters.

Course Changes

Adding or dropping a course must be approved by the program graduate program director and processed in the Registrar's Office before the second scheduled class. Refunds are subject to the policy stated in the catalog.


The grades used to indicate the quality of the student's performance in every course are as follows: A means excellent, B means good, C means satisfactory, D means poor but passing. F means failing. For the purpose of computing grade point averages, the corresponding numerical equivalents for letter grades will be used:

Grade Quality Points

I  Incomplete. Indicates that some requirement of a course has not been satisfied by the end of the term. A student's request for an Incomplete must be submitted to the instructor before the end of the term or session. The instructor determines whether to grant the request. In all cases the incomplete work must be completed and submitted to the instructor not later than 20 days from the last day of the term's final examination period. The faculty member must submit the final grade not later than 25 days from the last day of the term's final examination period. An incomplete will be converted to a grade of F if the work is not completed on schedule. Extensions for the completion of the work or the submission of the final grade will be granted by the dean only in highly unusual circumstances.

Withdrawal. Indicates withdrawal from a course in which the student is regularly enrolled. The student is required to have the withdrawal notification form signed by the instructor of the course. The deadline for withdrawal from a course is set by the Registrar for each semester. In "W" courses, neither quality hours or quality points are assigned.

Thesis. Indicates a Master's Project or Thesis or Internship/Practicum/Field Experience that is not completed by the end of the semester in which the student has registered for.

Contested Grades

If a student believes that his/her final grade in a course is not consistent with the grading criteria designated by the course instructor, he or she should first discuss the matter with the course instructor. If the student and the instructor cannot resolve the matter in this discussion, the student may discuss the matter with the program director. Copies of all graded tests, quizzes, and other assignments will be needed.

In the event that the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the discussions with the course instructor and the chair, he or she may make a written request to the program director for a formal consideration of the problem. This request must be submitted within three weeks after the beginning of the semester immediately following the regular fall or spring semester. Included in the request will be an outline of the student's specific complaints. The program director shall make a detailed investigation and shall notify the student and course instructor of his or her findings.

The student may appeal the findings of the chair to the dean of the school in which the course was offered. The dean will respond to the student in writing and will preserve the documentation of the process. When the department chair is the course instructor, the student may appeal to the dean of the school in which the course was taught who will investigate the matter and notify the student and the department chair and/or program director of his or her findings.

Students should be aware that only the course instructor may change a grade.

Grade Changes

All course grades (except "I" grades) are intended to be final and permanent. It is expected that course instructors will determine and report final grades as accurately and precisely as the nature of the evaluation of student achievement and the grading system will permit. It is considered the instructor's direct and personal responsibility to insure that grades are fair and reported correctly.

Notwithstanding all precautions, faculty members can make errors. When this occurs, the errors should be corrected so that students are not unfairly penalized. If a course instructor decides to request a grade correction, the appropriate forms must be completed and sent to the dean of the school in which the course was taught. Except in the case of contested grades, all requests for correcting grades must be submitted by the last day of the fourth week of the semester of the following fall or spring semester. Only the course instructor can submit a grade change request. The dean of the school may disapprove of the request, indicating in writing the reasons why.

Academic Standing

Graduate students are expected to remain in good standing and to make continued progress towards their degree requirements. Graduate students will be considered in good standing if they maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) in their course work; graduate students are expected to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 before they are allowed to graduate. If a graduate student receives a grade less than B in more than one course, the student will be required to meet with the director of the program to discuss continued enrollment in the program. Similarly, a student who has completed nine (9) or more credit hours towards the degree requirements and has a cumulative GPA less than 3.0 will be required to meet with the program director. Failure to meet with the program director may result in the student being subject to dismissal from the program. Any graduate student who receives a failing grade in a graduate course will be placed on academic warning until the course  is repeated or an approval substitute course is taken with a grade of B or better. If a graduate student receives a failing grade in the repeated or substitute course, or a second, separate course, the student will be subject to dismissal from the program.

Withdrawal from Course

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from courses must file the official withdrawal form with the director of the program. The W grade will not be given if the student withdraws after the published date for withdrawal. The withdrawal is dated when the office of the Registrar has been informed. No refund is given if a student withdraws from a course after the third scheduled class.

Incomplete Course Work

In extraordinary instances, when some requirement of a course has not been completed before the final examination, a student may be assigned the temporary grade of I (Incomplete Course Work), if, in the judgment of the teacher, a passing grade may be attained with the completion of the requirement. The I grade will be removed and a permanent grade assigned if the requirement is completed satisfactorily. If the requirement is not completed by the date specified in the academic calendar, (see discussion regarding Incomplete grades above) the I grade will be automatically changed to F. Students are responsible for making arrangements with the teacher to complete the requirement within the time permitted. For certain projects, Independent Study prerequisites, internships and other non-course work (which carry academic credit), students may have an additional session to complete the required work with the permission of the dean of the school.

Students who fail to complete their Master's Thesis/Project by the end of the semester in which they are registered for will be issued the temporary grade of T. The T grade will be changed to a letter grade when the Thesis/Project/Internship/Practicum/Fieldwork is completed. The T grade is not assigned any quality points and is not computed in the student's grade point average.

Semester Hour of Credit

Many three credit graduate courses meet for two hours of lecture once a week. To comply with the regulation of the Commissioner of Higher Education that there be fifteen hours of instruction for each semester hour or the equivalent, a third credit is granted for the successful completion of a course paper, an independent reading list, or some suitable project assigned by the professor. In addition to the two hours of lecture, the professor will be available during a third hour to assist and direct the student. The student's final grade for the three credits will reflect the response of the student to this third hour requirement.


A report of the semester course grades can be viewed on Self-Service. Official and unofficial transcripts can be requested from the office of the Registrar in person, by mail or online at . The office of the Registrar cannot comply with telephone requests. All obligations to the College must be fulfilled before transcripts will be issued.

Requirements for the Degree

The requirements for a master degree for each of the programs are listed in the departmental sections. All requirements must be completed within the degree time limit.

Students who began graduate studies after January 1, 1989 must present a minimum grade point average of 3.00 within the specified departmental course requirements needed for their degree. If students do not achieve the required grade point average within those specified course requirements, they may take additional courses with the permission of the department chairperson or director of the program to achieve the 3.00 index.


To be awarded a master degree, a student must successfully complete a minimum of 30 to 49 credit hours of graduate course work, depending upon the requirements of the specific program. Because most graduate programs are part-time, many courses are offered in a cycle over two or more years. It is the responsibility of the student to register for courses in the sequence in which they are offered and to make the necessary progress to complete all the requirements within the five year time period.

Degree Time Limits

All requirements (courses, paper, projects, thesis) must be completed within the maximum of five years from the beginning of the semester of matriculation. The beginning semester of matriculation is the semester within which the candidate is awarded the first credits towards the degree whether they were earned as a non-matriculated or matriculated student. Candidates should plan their five-year program to assure the completion of all requirements within the five year period. Foreign students must be full-time students. They must complete the requirements for the degree within two years.

Termination of Matriculation

The dean of the school, on the recommendation of the graduate program director, may terminate the matriculation of any student who fails to make sufficient progress towards the degree or to cancel a student's registration if he/she is registered for courses for which he/she does not have the prerequisites.

Candidates for the degree not in attendance for two calendar years will have their matriculation terminated. To reactivate their matriculation, these candidates must receive permission from the dean of the school. Such candidates, if readmitted, are required to meet all degree requirements within the five-year period from the beginning of the semester of matriculation. If this is not possible, the candidate may have to complete additional courses and current degree requirements.

Conferring of Degrees

Degrees are conferred three times a year - September 1, February 1 and at the annual Commencement Exercises in May. Students who have completed their programs in September or February can receive their degrees in February. Students who complete their programs in May will receive their degrees at the Spring Commencement in May.

Back To Top